World Migration Report 2022
Recently the International Organization for Migration (IOM) has released the “World Migration Report 2022”.
The International Organization for Migration is a leading intergovernmental organization promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. India is a member country of it.
This report is published by the IOM every other year.
Highlights of the report
- There were about 281 crore international migrants in the year 2020.
- This is 3.6% of the global population.
- Europe and Asia accounted for 61% of global international migrants.
- The number of internally displaced persons increased from 21 million in 2000 to 55 million in 2020.
- More people are being displaced by disasters caused by climate change than by conflicts. In the year 2020, 3.07 crore new people were displaced due to disasters.
- About four million new people have been displaced due to disasters in India.
- There were 26.4 million refugees globally in the year 2020, compared to 26 million in 2019.
- Impact of Kovid-19: While billions of people have been affected by Kovid-19, crores have been displaced in their own countries.
- Total growth in remittances: From $126 billion in 2000 to $702 billion in 2020.
- India, China, Mexico, Philippines and Egypt were the top five remittance recipient countries.
Source- The Hindu