World Food Prize
Recently ‘Cynthia E. Rosenzweig’ has been awarded the World Food Prize. Cynthia E. Rosenzweig is a NASA climate research scientist.
He has spent much of his life explaining how global food production should adapt to the changing climate.
For this reason, a $250,000 prize has been awarded to ‘Cynthia E. Rosenzweig,’ agronomist and climatologist, in honor of her innovative model on ‘The Effects of Climate Change on Food Production’.
World Food Prize-
- The World Food Prize was formed in the year 1986, its sponsor was ‘General Food Corporation’.
- The award was conceived by the Nobel Peace Prize laureate ‘Dr. Norman E Borlaug. He is also known as the father of Green Revolution.
- The World Food Prize is the best international honor given in recognition of distinguished achievements of individuals working for human development by improving the quality, quantity or availability of food in the world.
- The Prize, Plant, Animal and Soil Sciences; Food Science and Technology; Provided in all areas related to the world food supply including nutrition, rural development, etc.
- This award can be given to any person of all ethnicities, religions, nationalities or political beliefs. The cash amount of the prize is $2,50,000.
- This award is given by the ‘World Food Prize Foundation’. More than 80 companies and private individuals are involved in this foundation as donors.
- This award is also known as “Nobel Prize for Food and Agriculture”.
- For the first time this award was given to Dr. MS Swaminathan, the father of Green Revolution in India in the year 1987.
Source – The Hindu