International Dairy Federation – World Dairy Conference (IDF-WDS) 2022
Recently the Prime Minister has inaugurated the International Dairy Federation-World Dairy Conference (IDF-WDS) 2022.
Earlier such a conference was organized in India in the year 1974.
Addressing the conference, the Prime Minister stressed on the central importance of ‘livestock’ and milk related business in India’s cultural landscape.
Status of Dairy Sector in India-
- India ranks first in the world in milk production. The largest bovine population in the world is found in India.
- India accounts for about 23% of the total milk production in the world. India produces about 210 million tons of milk annually.
- Dairy is an agricultural sector that alone contributes 5% to the national economy. It has achieved a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 4% in the last 5 years.
- The top 5 milk producing states in India are: Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh.
Importance of Dairy Sector in India-
- It is based on a cooperative model, which empowers small and marginal dairy farmers.
- This sector empowers women, as women represent 70% of the workforce present in India’s dairy sector.
- Dairy operations require less capital. At the same time, it also provides direct employment to the rural masses.
- This sector provides nutritional support.
- It reduces rural poverty and inequality. In addition, it also ensures food security for lakhs of rural households.
Key Initiatives of Dairy Sector-
- Dairy Processing and Infrastructure Development Fund: This fund has been set up to replace the decades old cooling and processing plants and add value added product plants.
- National Dairy Development Programme: Its objective is to create and strengthen dairy infrastructure for procurement, processing and marketing of milk and milk products.
Source- The Hindu