WHO World Health Assembly Meets for 74th Session Concluded
Recently, India’s Health and Family Welfare Minister and WHO Executive Board President Dr. Harsh Vardhan chaired the 74th World Health Assembly on 24th May 2021 through virtual medium.
- The Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr. Tedros, also participated in the program of the World Health Assembly. This calls for further efforts by the Executive Board on behalf of India, which can ensure fair and equal access to COVID-19 vaccines under the COVAX facility.
- This meeting of the Health Assembly recommended consideration of the report on mental health preparedness and response to the COVID-19
- It recommended supporting the comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan for 2013 to 2030 and the WHO in collaboration with the World Animal Health Organization (WOAH) and the Food and Agriculture Organization Encouraged to work so that the source of the zoonotic virus could be identified.
- During this meeting, members were asked to take action on addressing diabetes as a public health problem. And the World Health Assembly recommends presenting a road map related to the “Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases” by the end of the year
World Health Assembly
- The World Health Assembly is the major decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO). The gathering consists of delegations from member countries of the World Health Organization. It focuses on the specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board. This gathering is held annually in Geneva, Switzerland.
Primary functions of the World Health Assembly
- Its main functions are the determination of the organization’s policies, the appointment of the Director-General, the supervision of financial policies and the review and approval of the proposed program budget.
Source – PIB