- Recently, the Kamuthi solar plant water in Tamil Nadu becomes water positive. This solar plant is operated by Adani Green Energy Limited (AGEL)
- To make the solar plant water positive, the company has cleaned the surrounding silt filled ponds and developed additional water harvesting capacity by collecting rainwater in it.
What is Water Positivity?
- Any company / plant is said to be in a state of water positivity when it recycled more water than the water being consumed.
- According to an independent global assessment and certification agency, the plant created a water credit of 52,982 cubic meters, which is much higher than the plant’s consumption of water in the year
About Kamuthi Solar Power Project:
- The 648 MW Kamuthi Solar Power Project is one of the world’s largest solar power projects in Kamuthi, Tamil Nadu.It is built by Adani Power. It is a photovoltaic power station spread over an area of 2,500 acres (10 sq. km) at Kamuthi in Ramanathapuram district, 90 km from Madurai in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
- With a generating capacity of 648 MW at a single location, it is one of the world’s largest single location solar projects spread over 2,500 acres.The electricity generated at the Kamuthi solar power plant provides clean green electricity to 2.65 lakh homes.
Source – The Hindu