US : Indonesia hold joint military drills amid China concerns
Recently, the United States and Indonesian army conducted annual joint warfare exercises on the Indonesian island of Sumatra.
For the first time, participants from other partner countries have also joined amidst increasing maritime activity by China in the Indo-Pacific region.
Joint Military Exercises:
- Over 5,000 troops from the US, Indonesia, Australia, Japan and Singapore participated in the 2022
- The exercise was designed to strengthen interactivity, trust and cooperation in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific.
- The exercise lasted till 14 August 2022, consisting of Army, Navy, Air Force and maritime exercises.
Military exercises with the United States:
- India-US Joint Military Exercise: This is the largest joint military training and defense cooperation effort between India and the US.
- Tiger Triumph Exercise: It aims to develop interoperability for conducting humanitarian assistance and disaster relief exercises.
- Exercise Vajra Prahar (Special Forces Exercise): The joint exercise by the special forces of both the countries is conducted alternately between India and the United States.
Military exercise with Indonesia:
- Exercise Samudra Shakti: In pursuance of India’s Act East policy, Exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ was started as a bilateral exercise (IN-IDN) in the year The aim of the exercise is to strengthen bilateral ties and enhance mutual understanding and interoperability in maritime operations between the two navies.
- India-Indonesia CORPAT (Maritime Exercise): Indo-Indonesia Coordinated Patrol builds understanding and interoperability between navies and tackles illegal Unreported Unregulated (IUU) fishing, drug trafficking, maritime Facilitates measures to prevent and reduce terrorism, armed robbery and piracy.
Source – The Hindu