UnnatJyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA)
Recently, 7 years of UnnatJyoti by Affordable LED for All (UJALA) scheme was completed, this scheme was started by the Ministry of Power in the year 2015.
Energy Efficiency Service Limited (EESL), under the Ministry of Power, is the implementing agency of the UJALA scheme.
Under the Ujala scheme, LED bulbs, LED tube lights and energy efficient fans are being provided to the domestic consumers. Through these, traditional and inefficient types of electronic equipment are replaced.
Promoting efficient lighting and reducing expenditure on electricity consumption.Additionally, helping to preserve the environment.
Major Quantitative Achievements –
- So far, more than 38.78 crore LED bulbs have been distributed.
- Annually, 47,778 million kWh of energy has been saved.
- The peak demand of 9,565 MW has been reduced along with reduction of 386 million tonnes in CO2
- The prices of LED bulbs have come down by 85%.
Major Qualitative Achievements
- Under the scheme, the government has ensured transparency. At the same time, competition has also been encouraged by e-procurement of goods and services.
- This has resulted in significant reduction in transaction cost and time. This has resulted in increased process efficiency.
- Self Help Groups (SHOs) have also been nominated for distribution of LED bulbs under UJALA. This is a part of its inclusive growth strategy.
Source – The Hindu