UN Land Conservation Award
Recently, Shyam Sundar Jyani has been awarded the prestigious United Nations’ Land for Life Award for the year 2021 for his ‘Familial Forestry’, and environmental conservation concept.
It is to be known that Shyam Sundar Jyani is a climate activist from Rajasthan.
What is ‘Family Forestry’?
- So much attachment to the care of trees and the environment that, making them a part of the family, due to which the trees become part of the consciousness of the family. Such a concept is called ‘Family Forestry’.
- This concept which makes family the cornerstone of the society ensures the success of any social campaign.
‘Land for Life Award’
- The award was initiated at the COP-10 ‘Conference of the Parties’ of the ‘United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)’ held in the year 2011.
- This award is considered to be the world’s highest award in terms of ‘land conservation and restoration’.
- It is awarded by It is awarded by the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification in two years.
- The theme for the award for the year 2021 was “Healthy Land, Healthy Lives”.
United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
- It was established in the year 1994. UNCCD is the only legally binding international agreement linking the environment and development to sustainable land management.
- UNCCD is the only convention established under direct recommendations under Agenda 21 during the Rio Earth Summit.
- UNCCD primarily works for the most vulnerable ecosystems and human populations, particularly in arid, semi-arid and arid sub-humid regions known as arid lands.
Source – The Hindu