TVS-2M (TVS-2M) nuclear fuel
- Recently Russia has supplied the first batch of TVS-2M nuclear fuel to India for the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
- This fuel, supplied by Russia’s Rosatom State Corporation, is more reliable and cost-effective than existing nuclear fuel.
- The TVS-2M consists of uranium-gadolinium oxide mixed with uranium enrichment, mixed with uranium dioxide, but does not have Flammable Absorber Rods (BARs).
- BARs contain neutron-absorbing material. It is inserted into the guide tube of a pressurized water reactor.
Importance of TVS-2M
- It is more efficient and more vibration resistant due to the stiffness of the fuel-bundle.
- Improved Uranium Capacity – A TVS-2M assembly has 7.6% more fuel content than the predecessor fuel.
- Uses fuel efficiently over an 18 month cycle.
Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant
- The Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant is the largest nuclear power station in India.
- It is located at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu. It is built by India in joint collaboration with Russia.
Source – PIB