Recently Prime Minister has launched Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) 2.0.
SBM-U 2.0 (Year 2021-22 to Year 2025-26) aims to focus on sustaining the outcomes achieved during SBM from sanitation and solid waste management. At the same time, taking urban India to the next level of cleanliness will have to keep pace with the same enthusiasm.
Major components under SBM-U 2.0:
To serve the population migrating from rural to urban areas, ensuring their full access to sanitation facilities through the following –
- Construction of over 3.5 lakh individual, community and public toilets.
- Ensuring complete liquid waste management (new component introduced) in cities with population less than 1 lakh.
- There will be more emphasis on source segregation under sustainable solid waste management.
- There will be a special focus on phased elimination of single use plastics. Also, material recovery facility centers and waste processing facilities will be set up.
- Building and demolition waste processing facility centers will be set up.
- Mechanical sweepers will be employed in cities and towns with a population of more than 5 lakhs.
- All old dump sites (hugs/huge piles of garbage) will be treated.
Sanitation and Welfare of Informal Waste Workers: Personal protective equipment and safety kit delivery, affiliation with government welfare schemes, capacity building etc.
About Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM)
The mission had the following objectives: Elimination of the practice of open defecation in all statutory cities; to bring about 100% scientific management of municipal solid waste in all statutory cities and to bring about massive behavioral change through mass movement.
Source – PIB