Swachh Bharat Mission- Urban 2.0 (SBM-U 2.0 )
Swachh Bharat Mission- Urban 2.0 has launched “National Behavior Change Communication Framework to make cities garbage free”.
This framework will act as the guiding document and blueprint of this mission for the states and cities. On this basis, massive multimedia campaigns and intensive and focused communication campaigns among people will be launched.
It emphasizes on conveying the following key areas to bring about a real change in the urban landscape of India: Segregation at source based on type of waste, collection, transportation and processing of waste, plastic waste management, and treatment of old dumpsites.
About Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban –
- It was launched on 2nd October, 2014 by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in all statutory towns.
- This campaign emphasizes on effecting behavior change through mass movement.
This mission focuses on the following:
- Sustaining the achievements of the Open Defecation Free (ODF) campaign.
- To achieve the goal of scientific processing of solid waste in all cities
- Management of waste water in cities with population less than 1 lakh based on 2011 census.
Achievements of Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (by October 2021)
- More than 70 lakh household, community and public toilets have been constructed.
- Urban India was declared open defecation free in the year 2019.
- Scientific waste management has increased four times to 70% from 18% in 2014.
- Continuous capacity building of state and city level officers is being done.
Source – The Hindu