Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade rulings
Recently, the US Supreme Court overturned the landmark ‘Roe v. Wade’ decision on abortion rights.
The US Supreme Court has overturned a landmark 1973 decision in Roe v Wade, which provided constitutional protection to a woman’s right to an abortion.
The 1973 judgment also institutionalized protection related to abortion.
The decision has been supported by religious and pro-life groups. At the same time, those fighting for rights have opposed this decision.
According to the opponents of the decision, this decision will have a negative impact on other rights as well.
The decision also paves the way for states to initiate a process to ban abortions.
Arguments in favor of the right to abortion
- Protects the ‘right of choice’ by women regarding the capabilities of their bodies for reproduction (not).
- It is helpful in achieving population, health and development goals.
- Helps to identify fetal disorders. Also, protects against the dangers of illegal abortion.
Arguments against the right to abortion
- Ethical issues associated with the misuse of technologies for sex determination are involved.
- Increases the dangers of forced and forced sterilization.
- The right to abortion is against the right to life of the child and also against the obligation of the state to protect the fetus and life.
Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Amendment Act, 2021
- Under the Act, a pregnancy may be terminated up to 20 weeks by a married woman in the case of failure of contraceptive method or device. It allows unmarried women to also terminate a pregnancy for this reason.
- Opinion of one Registered Medical Practitioner (RMP) for termination of pregnancy up to 20 weeks of gestation.
- Opinion of two RMPs for termination of pregnancy of 20-24 weeks of gestation.
- Opinion of the State-level medical board is essential for a pregnancy to be terminated after 24 weeks in case of substantial foetal abnormalities.
Source – The Hindu