State Energy and Climate Index Round -1: Niti Aayog
NITI Aayog has released the State Energy Climate Index: SECI-1.
The objective of this index is to develop healthy competition among the states to perform better. Also to provide quality energy services to the users in their states.
This index is based on the data for the year 2019-20.
The states are classified on the basis of their size and geographical differences as large states, small states and union territories. The index ranks the performance of states on the basis of 6 parameters.
Key Findings of the Index
- Gujarat, Kerala (Energy Access, Affordability and Reliability category), and Punjab (Performance of Discoms) are ranked as the top three performers in the Big States category.
- In the small states category, Goa, Tripura and Manipur have been the top performing states respectively.
- Among the Union Territories, Chandigarh, Delhi, Daman & Diu/Dadra and Nagar Haveli are the top performers respectively.
Significance of Index:
- States and Union Territories will improve their performance using the performance of their counterparts as benchmarks.
- Analyze the potential challenges in developing better policy mechanisms.
- Manage your energy resources efficiently.
- Other states can adopt best practices in all the indicators in the better performing states. In this way they can improve their performance.
- State governments should give priority to keeping the data updated and verified. This will help them to formulate better policies.
Source – The Hindu