Social Progress Index (SPI)
- Recently, the Social Progress Index (SPI) 2022 for the states and districts of the country has been released by the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council.
- The SPI has been jointly developed by the Institute for Competitiveness and the Social Progress Imperative.
- The SPI assesses states and districts on the basis of 12 components across three important dimensions of social progress. Three important dimensions include:
- Basic human needs,
- Based on better ways of living and
- It uses 89 indicators at the state level and 49 indicators at the district level.
Key Features of SPI:
- The best performing states/UTs are Puducherry, Lakshadweep and Goa.
- The top three performing districts are Shimla and Solan in Himachal Pradesh and Aizawl in Mizoram.
- Globally, India ranks 110th in SPI –
Source – The Hindu