‘SMART’ programme launched to boost R&D in Ayurveda
Recently, To promote research and development in Ayurveda in the country, SMART programme has been started for professionals associated with Ayurveda.
- The full form of SMART program is Scope for Mainstreaming Ayurveda Research in Teaching Professionals. It has been launched by the National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine (NCISM), and the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS). Both these institutes come under the Ministry of AYUSH (MoA).
- The objective of the program is to promote scientific research in primary health care research areas like iron deficiency anemia, obesity through Ayurveda colleges and hospitals.
- This will motivate faculty to take up projects in identified areas of health research and create a large database.
Initiatives taken to promote Ayurveda-
- The Central Sector Scheme Ayush Drug Quality and Production Promotion Scheme (AOGUSY) has been launched.
- The 9th World Ayurveda Congress has been organized in Goa. The aim was to showcase the efficacy and potential of AYUSH system of medicine on a global scale.
National Commission for Indian System of Medicine (NCISM)
- It is a statutory body established by the NCISM Act, 2020 under the Ministry of AYUSH. Its objective is to regulate medical education.
- It works towards improving access to quality and affordable medical education.
- Also, it ensures the availability of adequate and high quality medical professionals of the Indian system of medicine in all parts of the country.
Source – PIB