Virtual Smart Grid Knowledge Center (SGKC) and Innovation Park
Recently Union Minister has launched Virtual Smart Grid Knowledge Center (SGKC) and Innovation Park.
Smart Grid Knowledge Center (SGKC) has been set up by POWERGRID in collaboration with Ministry of Power and National Smart Grid Mission (NSGM). It has been established to introduce and advance Frontier Smart Grid technologies.
SGKC aims to become one of the leading Centers of Excellence globally for:
- It is envisaged to encourage innovation, entrepreneurship and research related to smart grid technologies, and to build capacities in the power distribution sector.
- Launch of Virtual SGKC enables digital presence of physical setup of SGKC. Its need was felt during the COVID-19 global pandemic.
- National Smart Grid Mission (NSGM) was established in the year 2015. Its objective is to accelerate the installation of smart grids in India.
- It plays a vital role in planning and monitoring the implementation of policies and programs related to Smart Grid.
- It is an electrical grid based on automation, communication and IT systems.
- It can monitor the flow of electricity from production to consumption. Also, it can reduce the load or control the flow of electricity to match the power output in real time or near real time.
Benefits of Smart Grid:
- Reduction in Transmission and Distribution: T&D Loss,
- Helpful in managing during peak load,
- necessary to improve the quality of service,
- Helps to increase credibility
- Helpful in better management of assets,
- Helpful in the integration of renewable energy,
- Helpful in real time based monitoring,
- Helpful in ensuring better access to electricity, etc.
Source – The Hindu