Recently, the Supreme Court (SC) has approved sand mining legally in Rajasthan after 4 years.
The Supreme Court has approved sand mining from the river bed in Rajasthan. Also, the recommendations made by the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) constituted to look into the matter have also been approved.
In its judgment, the court has also allowed another recommendation of the CEC to abolish khatedari pattas (sand mining leases on agricultural land). These leases are 5 km from the river bed. are located within the scope of
Earlier, in the year 2017, legalized sand mining in Rajasthan was banned by the SC due to lack of environmental clearance and a scientific replenishment study.
Importance of Decision
- To indirectly curb illegal sand mining and improve law and order
- Ensuring better value realization for consumers
- Helping the state get royalties.
Causes of illegal sand mining include:
- Imbalance in supply and demand,
- Ineffective policies and poor monitoring,
- Alliances between mining companies,
- Bureaucracy and law enforcement agencies do not take strict action against the culprits etc.
Adverse effects of illegal sand mining:
Destabilization of river bed, and destruction of natural habitats of organisms dependent on the river system.
Source – The Hindu