Revised MGNREGA Wages
The wage rates of MNREGA were revised by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The wage rates for MNREGA for the financial year 2022-23 will be applicable from April 1. These rates are fixed under Section 6 of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005.
- The wage rates for MGNREGA have been revised as per changes in the Consumer Price Index – Agriculture Labor (CPI-AL). The CPI-AL shows an increase in rural inflation.
Recent hike in MGNREGA wages:
- Overall, MGNREGA wages have been increased from Rs. 4 to Rs. 21 per hour in 31 states and union territories for the fiscal year 2022-23.
- There has been no change in MGNREGA wage rates in three states. These states include- Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.
MGNREGA: It guarantees employment for 100 working days in a financial year. Under this, employment is given to adult members of rural households willing to do unskilled manual work. Also, the working days can be increased to 150 days in rural areas notified as Drought/Natural Calamity.
Importance of MGNREGA:
- Under this, durable assets are created,
- Water security is improved, with special emphasis on soil conservation and better yields from the ground.
- Thus, the scheme provides livelihood security to the poor.
- MGNREGA wages increase household income, which has a positive impact on the standard of living of families.
- It is an effective instrument for inclusive development in rural India. It ensures social security, livelihood security and democratic empowerment in rural India.
Source – The Hindu