Recently Reliance Jio got approval to buy 5G equipment from “trusted” vendors.
This will enable Jio to access devices from different vendors. These vendors include Ericsson, Nokia Networks, Cisco and Dell. It is noteworthy that the National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) has declared these as “trusted sources”.
- Recently, HFCL Limited has also received approval from NSCS as a “Trusted Source”.
- In June 2021, the government launched the Trusted Telecom Portal (TTP). Its goal is to provide acceptance for reliable products. It can be installed by Telecom Service Provider (TSP) in their network.
- Reliable products are those equipment whose vital components and the product itself are procured from reliable sources only.
- TTP was launched as a part of National Security Directive on Telecom Sector (NSDTS). NSDTS was approved in the year 2020. Its purpose is to control the installation of such telecommunication equipment from non-friendly countries, which may pose a threat to the security of the country. Under NSDTS, the government declares a list of trusted sources and trusted products for installation in the country’s telecom network.
- The list will be determined based on the approval of the National Security Committee on Telecommunications, headed by the Deputy National Security Advisor.
- In addition, provisions have also been made in the instructions for declaring telecom equipment manufactured by domestic agents to be of reliable category.
Source – The Hindu