Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik)
The Indian Air Force has handed over defense land at 7 locations to the Airports Authority of India for operation of civilian flights under the ‘Regional Connectivity Scheme’ (RCS) UDAN.
These places include Bagdogra, Darbhanga, Adampur, Utarlai, Sarsawa, Kanpur and Gorakhpur.
The RCS UDAN scheme was launched by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in the year 2016.
- Developing the regional aviation sector.
- To provide affordable, economically viable and profitable air travel on regional routes to the common man even in small towns
- The underserved airports are to be connected with the major airports through flights.
- The cost of these flights will be Rs 2,500 per hour. Under this, viability gap financing and other concessions are provided to selected airline operators.
- This would encourage operations from unserved/underserved airports/heliports/water airports.
Source – The Hindu