Rare Disease Amyloidosis
Amyloidosis is a rare disease. This disease occurs when an abnormal protein, amyloid, builds up in any part of the human body.
- Usually, this protein is absent in the body. This abnormal protein negatively affects the size and function of organs.
- Amyloidosis may be secondary to another health condition or may also develop in the human body as a primary disease.
- Amyloid can accumulate in the heart, brain, kidneys, spleen, and other parts of the body. This can lead to life-threatening conditions such as organ failure.
- The cause of this disease called amyloidosis is still unknown.
- There are also different types of amyloidosis. Some are currently in vogue, such as light-chain (AL), AA, related to dialysis, transthyretin, etc.
Source – The Hindu