Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration
Recently, the Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration is presented by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances on Civil Services Day (21 April).
These awards were instituted in the year 2006.
These awards are given for “extraordinary and innovative work” done by Districts/Implementing Units and Central/State Organizations for the welfare of common citizens.
In the year 2022, 16 awards were given for 5 identified priority programs for innovations viz;
- Promote people’s participation in the nutrition campaign;
- To promote excellence in sports and welfare through Khelo India Scheme;
- Promotion of digital payments, and good governance under Pradhan Mantri Swanidhi Yojana;
- Ensuring holistic development through the ‘One District One Product’ scheme and,
- Seamless and end-to-end delivery of services without human intervention.
Civil Services Day
- Every year 21 April is celebrated as ‘Civil Services Day’ by the Government of India.
- This date has been chosen because the first Home Minister of independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, addressed the observers of the Administrative Service officers at Metcalf House in Delhi on this day.
- The day is observed as an opportunity for civil servants to rededicate themselves to the cause of citizens and to reiterate their commitments to excellence in public service and work.
Source – The Hindu