Recently, the cabinet has approved the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G) till March, 2024.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin is implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development. The Cabinet has approved the continuation of PMAY-G from March 2021 to March 2024 as per the existing norms.
- It aims to complete the remaining houses under the overall target of 2.95 crore houses.
- Presently under PMAY-G, only 1.65 crore houses have been constructed. Therefore, it has been announced to continue the scheme till March, 2024 to achieve the set target.
- Several other concerns have also been raised regarding the scheme such as: non-availability of finance, slow implementation of the scheme, etc.
- The objective of PMAY-G scheme is to provide Pradhan Mantri Awas for All by the year 2022. Under this, houses with all basic facilities will be provided by the year 2022 by providing financial subsidy to all rural homeless families and families living in kutcha and dilapidated houses.
- It is a social welfare programme. Through this the government provides financial assistance to the homeless beneficiaries identified using the Socio-Economic Census (SECC) 2011.
- Under the scheme, permission is granted to construct houses using local building materials and local design of houses.
- The Gram Sabha identifies the beneficiaries.
- This scheme is being operated in coordination with other schemes like Swachh Bharat Mission, PM Ujjwala and MGNREGA.
- Housing is universally recognized as a basic human need. Hence it improves the quality of life and helps in eradicating poverty.
- Provision of specific housing for the differently-abled, the aged and the areas affected by Left Wing Extremism can prove to be an important step towards inclusive development.
Source – The Hindu