Power ministry mandates energy accounting of DISCOMS
Recently, the Ministry of Power has ordered the Power Distribution Companies (DISCOMS) to execute Energy Accounting (EA).
- Energy accounting (EA) prescribes the accounting of all types of energy flows at different voltage levels in the distribution perimeter of a network. This includes renewable energy generation and energy consumption by open access consumers as well as end consumers.
- Energy Accounts (EA) will provide detailed information about power consumption by different categories of consumers and transmission and distribution losses in different regions. It will also help in fixing the responsibility on the concerned officials for the loss and theft of electricity.
- This will enable DISCOMs to plan demand side management efforts along with upgradation of appropriate infrastructure.
- In addition, it will also ensure India’s contribution to climate action in meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement (quarterly energy accounting within 60 days through an energy manager certified by key regulatory discoms).
- Annual energy audit annual and quarterly reports by an independent accredited energy auditor shall be published in the public domain.
- It is to be noted that the regulation was issued by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the provisions of the Energy Conservation (EC) Act, 2001.
- BEE was established in the year 2002 under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. It is a statutory body. It’s headquarter is located in Delhi.
Source – The Hindu