Portal on National Mission on Natural Farming
Recently the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare launched the portal on National Mission for Natural Agriculture (NMNF).
State wise share in the area under natural farming in the country will be available on the NMNF portal, all the information about the mission, resources, progress of implementation, farmer registration, blog etc.
This information will prove useful for the farmers. This will help in promoting natural farming in the country.
National Mission for Natural Agriculture (NMNF)
- It aims to build institutional capacity to record and disseminate best practices related to natural farming.
- At the same time, the farmers adopting this farming method will have to be a participant in the strategy of its spread.
Key Objectives of National Mission for Natural Agriculture
- Promoting alternative system of farming. This will avoid external input purchases and bring down the cost.
- Popularization of integrated agro-animal husbandry model based on indigenous cow and local resources. Determining and branding standards and certification procedures for natural agricultural products.
At the national level, NMNF is being governed by the National Steering Committee (NSC). Agriculture Minister is the chairman of this committee.
Natural Farming –
Natural farming (Indian Natural Farming System: NF-BPKP) is a chemical free farming system. It is based on livestock and locally available resources. At the same time, it is also associated with Indian tradition.
Benefits of natural farming:
- Helps in the conservation of natural flora and fauna,
- Helps to restore soil health and fertility
- It is cost-effective farming method,
- It uses natural/local resource-based inputs etc.
Source – The Hindu