Polavaram Dam Project
The operation of the Polavaram dam project, which is slated to begin in the year 2022, has raised concerns of development-induced displacement.
- It is a multi-purpose irrigation project located on the Godavari River near Ramayampet village in the West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh.
- In this the water of Godavari River has been diverted towards Krishna river basin.
- The project will provide irrigation facilities to Krishna, East and West Godavari and Visakhapatnam districts through two major canals.
- Underestimation of compensation to the local people, problems in resettlement sites (unsuitable for tribal needs), livelihood, lack of local consultation, submergence of domicile area etc.
- In addition, the project will affect the recognition of their forest rights in the notified scheduled areas.
Source – The Hindu