UN organizations launch plan to catalyse action by 2025
The United Nations-Energy has launched this action plan in view of the global energy crisis and the worsening climate emergency.
The plan is a major step forward to inspire the broad action and support needed to move forward towards clean, affordable energy for all and net-zero emissions.
An Energy Compact Action Network has also been launched. It will match governments seeking support for their clean energy goals with governments and businesses that have already pledged more than $600 billion in aid.
- UN-Energy is actually a United Nations mechanism for inter-agency cooperation in the field of energy.
- It aims to promote coherence in the interdisciplinary response of the United Nations to achieving SDG-7 This incentive will be given in support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
- SDG-7 aims to ‘ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all’.
Ambitious goals for the year 2025 –
- 500 million more people have access to electricity
- Doubling of annual investment in renewable energy and energy efficiency globally
- 1 billion more people have access to clean cooking tools
- After 2021, no new scheme based on coal energy will be made.
- Annual investment of up to $35 billion in access to electricity and $25 billion in annual investment in access to clean cooking equipment
- Redirecting fossil fuel consumption subsidies to renewable energy and energy efficiency
- 100% increase in modern renewable energy capacity globally
- To create 30 million jobs in the renewable energy and energy efficiency sector
Source – The Hindu