Recently, on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Pingali Venkaiah, Vice President Venkaianaidu and other members of the Union Cabinet paid tributes to him. The year 2021 marks the 145th anniversary of Pingali Venkaiah.
- Pingali Venkaiah was the architect of the design of the Indian national flag.
- The current national flag of India is inspired by the design of Pingali Venkaiah.
- Thus, he gave a unique identity to India through the national flag.
Importance of National Flag:
- Any country is identified by its unique flag, emblem and anthem.
- The flag is a symbolic expression.
- The national flag of India represents its values and ideas.
- The saffron color at the top signifies strength and courage, the white color in the middle represents peace and truth while the green color at the bottom signifies fertility, development and auspiciousness of the land.
- The 24 spokes of the Ashoka Chakra symbolize that life is in motion.
Who is Pingali Venkaiah?
- He was an Indian freedom fighter, born in 1876. And he was brought up in a Telugu Brahmin family in Andhra Pradesh. Hanumantha Rayudu was his father.
- He completed his high school in Madras and went to Cambridge University for his graduation. He was a Gandhian, agriculturist, educationist, linguist, geologist and writer.
Flag Design by Pingali:
- He designed a flag called Swaraj Dhwaj. It also included red and green stripes symbolizing India’s two religious communities—Hindu and Muslim.
- His design gave an identity to India and its people and this flag helped to unite the spirit of freedom among the people at that time.
- He also added a white colored stripe with the charkha design suggested by Mahatma Gandhi.
Source – The Hindu