The Assam government, through the (Orunodoi Scheme) Arunodoi scheme, wants to empower women by transferring a minimum amount of Rs.830 per month to the bank accounts of the nominee head of the household.
It may be noted that the Arunodoi scheme, started by the Assam government in December 2020, has become the most popular scheme of the state. This scheme is being operated by the Government of Assam in 29 districts of the state.
Key takeaways of Orunodoi Scheme
- The scheme was announced during the state budget 2020-21. It is to be implemented at a cost of Rs. 2400 crores.
- To become a beneficiary under the scheme, the family income should be less than Rs 2 lakh per year.
- More than 18 lakh beneficiaries have already been selected by the government under this scheme. After the inclusion of the districts of Bodoland Territorial Area, this number is expected to reach 22 lakhs.
- Under this scheme, the amount has to be directly transferred to the beneficiaries from the e-Kuber system of the Reserve Bank of India.
- E-Kuber is a core banking solution of the Reserve Bank of India. Core banking solutions enable banks to provide 24X7 customer centric services from a single location ie, it is a software used by RBI to conduct daily transactions.
Source – The Hindu