ONDC ecommerce network launches beta testing with consumers
Recently beta testing of Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) has been started in Bengaluru.
- The objective of beta testing is to provide the first ever ONDC experience to the consumers. Also, before starting this service at all India level, feedback has to be taken from them.
- ONDC is the first of its kind initiative globally. It has been launched by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- It aims to control digital monopolies and make the industry more inclusive for buyers and sellers.
- ONDC is a forward-thinking approach from the existing platform-centric digital commerce model. In the current model, the buyer and seller have to register their presence digitally and use the same platform for business transactions.
- It promotes an open network developed on an open source methodology. It uses open specifications and network protocols.
- It is independent of any particular platform. It was incorporated as a private sector non-profit company in the year 2021.
- The ONDC project has been modeled on the lines of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) project. The task of integrating the e-commerce platform on ONDC was entrusted to the Quality Council of India.
Significance of ONDC Initiative-
- It democratizes the digital commerce sector in a big way.
- It provides wider reach to sellers (especially kirana store owners). It also ensures greater reach to the consumers.
Source- The Hindu