NITI Aayog has released the North Eastern Region District Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Index and Dashboard 2021-22.
North Eastern Region District Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Index and Dashboard is a collaborative effort of NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (MDoNER)). It has also received technical assistance from the United Nations Development Program (UNDP). It focuses on measuring the performance of districts of eight northeastern states.
It is a step towards the localization of SDGs in India, i.e., transforming the 2030 SDGs into local action and its impact.
This SDG index will be used as a basis for planning development and welfare activities, education, health care etc.
Major Initiatives for the North Eastern Region (NER)
- North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation (NERAMAC): It aims to help in implementation of innovative schemes like providing better agriculture facilities, training farmers in clusters, organic seeds and fertilizers etc.
- National Mission on Edible Oil-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) 50% of the new produce is targeted for North Eastern Region.
- Aatmanirbhar Handicraftsman Scheme is being operated by Northeast Development Finance Corporation Limited (NEDFI) to develop the craftsmen of NER by providing financial assistance.
- North East State Road Investment Program (NESRIP) has been launched for construction/upgradation of roads.
- The North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS) has been formulated to strengthen the health infrastructure and counter the outbreak of COVID-19.
Objectives of North Eastern Region District SDG Index
- Strengthening monitoring of SDGs for all states and districts of the region.
- Establishing the NER District SDG Index as a comprehensive progress monitoring tool at the district level.
- Enabling States and Districts to identify critical sectoral gaps.
- Promote healthy competition in the region between states and districts.
Source – The Hindu