PM-DevINE Scheme and North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme
Recently, the Prime Minister’s Development Initiative for North Eastern Region (PM-DevINE), designed to promote the development of North East India, has undergone significant amendments to suit the needs and aspirations of the region.
Along with this, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (MDoNER) has issued new plan guidelines to implement the Cabinet approved North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme- NESIDS during the period 2022-2026.
The Ministry has revised the guidelines for the following –
Revised Guidelines of PM-DevINE Scheme:
- Project oversight and governance: The MDoNER will oversee project selection, approval and monitoring in consultation with state governments, the North Eastern Council and the relevant central ministries, with implementation through the NEC or central ministries/agencies. These guidelines outline the process, which includes project identification, selection, DPR preparation, clearance, release of funds, monitoring and project completion.
- Empowered Inter-Ministerial Committee (EIMC): Constitution of Empowered Inter-Ministerial Committee to oversee various works under PM-Divine.
- State Level Empowered Committee (SLEC): Formation of State Level Empowered Committee for review and approval of the project. The Chief Secretary, concerned Secretaries and representatives of NEC come under its members.
- Regarding project selection: North Eastern states should notify the State Logistics Policy and update the Gati Shakti National Master Plan data sections including land revenue charts. Along with this, speed power implementation mechanism like Empowered Group of Secretaries, Network Planning Group and Technical Support Unit should be established. States not meeting these criteria will not be sanctioned new PM-Divine projects from the year 2023-24.
North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS)
- NESIDS is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% Central funding, with an updated approved outlay of Rs.8139.50 crore for the years 2022-23 to 2025-26.
- The scheme comprises of two components- NESIDS- Roads and NESIDS- Other than Road Infrastructure (OTR).
- The new guidelines were formulated after the merger of the already existing North-East Road Sector Development Scheme (NERSDS) with NESIDS-Road.
- NESIDS aims to promote infrastructure development, especially coordination, in the identified areas of the North Eastern States.
- PM-Divine scheme is a Central Sector Scheme. It was introduced as a part of the Union Budget 2022-23.
- On October 12, 2022, the cabinet approved the PM-Divine scheme. It is fully i.e. 100% centrally funded, to ensure that resources are directly allocated to development initiatives.
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
- Purpose: This scheme is in line with the spirit of PM Gati Shakti. The scheme will fund infrastructure and social development projects based on the needs of the Northeast. Also, will enable livelihood activities for youth and women.
- Project Selection: Based on consultation with different stakeholders including NITI Aayog, concerned Ministries/Departments etc.
- Sustainability of PM-DevINE projects: Adequate provision will be made for operation and maintenance (O&M) of the assets created under the schemes.
Source – PIB