Nominated member in Rajya Sabha
Recently the government has nominated four new members to the Rajya Sabha from Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
- It may be noted that Article 80 of the Constitution describes the composition of the Rajya Sabha.
- Of the 245 members of the Rajya Sabha, 12 are nominated by the President. In addition, there are representatives from the remaining 233 member states and union territories of Delhi and Puducherry.
- The 12 members nominated under Article 80(8) should have special knowledge or practical experience in matters of literature, science, art, etc.
- A nominated member can join any party within six months of being a member of Rajya Sabha.
- The members of the Rajya Sabha are elected by the members of the State Legislative Assembly by indirect election method.
Source – The Hindu