Recently the Nobel Prize in Physics for the year 2021 has been announced.
This year’s Nobel Prize in Physics will be awarded for an unprecedented contribution to the understanding of complex physical systems.
- Irregularities and disorganization features are found in complex systems, and these are complex to understand.
- This year’s award recognizes new methods for describing complex physical systems and predicting their long-term behavior.
- These methods contribute to understanding irregular features in physics as well as in mathematics, biology, neuroscience and machine learning.
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has awarded the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics to Tsukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann and Giorgio Parisi.
- Starting in the 1960s, Mr. Manabe demonstrated how increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would increase global temperatures.
- It is from this concept that the foundation of current climate patterns has been laid.
- Klaus Hasselmann has created a model that correlates weather and atmosphere. This model helps to explain why atmospheric models can be reliable, despite the seemingly chaotic nature of the weather.
- The remaining half of the prize will be given to Giorgio Paris. They have been selected to explore the interactions of disorder and instability in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales.
- He has also created a model for understanding complex systems in fields such as mathematics, biology, neuroscience and machine learning.
Source – The Hindu