Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the year 2022
Recently the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the year 2022 has been announced.
Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Morten Meldal, and K. Barry Sharpless will be awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the year 2022.
- He will be honored with this award for his development of click chemistry and bioorthogonal chemistry.
- Click chemistry is the branch of science that investigates the combination of molecules. It is developed by K. Barry Sharpless, and Morton Medel.
- It is defined as the set of powerful, highly reliable, and selective reactions for the rapid synthesis of new useful compounds.
- Click chemistry does not try to make the carbon atoms react with each other. In contrast, it focuses on using smaller molecules that already have a complete carbon structure.
- One such reaction is copper-catalyzed azide-alkyne cycloaddition (CuAAC). It is now widely used in medicinal chemistry.
It is commonly used for the following:
- in the development of drugs,
- To create more purpose-appropriate materials in the mapping of DNA.
Caroline Bertozzi developed click reactions. These reactions work within living organisms to detect important biomolecules on the surface of cells. These biomolecules are called glycans. They have developed bioorthogonal reactions. These reactions take place without disrupting the normal chemistry of the cell.
Source – The Hindu