New Initiatives in Building Energy Efficiency 2021 Released
Recently, “Aiming for Sustainable Habitat: New Initiatives in Building Energy Efficiency 2021” was launched by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
Energy efficiency means using relatively less energy to do some work, that is, eliminating the wastage of energy.
The Initiatives includes:
- Specifying code compliance approaches, and minimum energy consumption requirements for building services.
- The verification framework associated with Eco Niwas Samhita 2021.
- A web based platform as a learning tool.
- Online starting for energy efficient homes.
- Training over 15,000 architects, engineers and government officials.
- The construction sector is the second largest consumer of electricity in India after the industry sector. At the same time, it is also expected to become the largest energy consuming sector by the year 2030.
Energy Conservation Building Code: ECBC
This code was released in the year 2017. This Code sets minimum energy standards for commercial buildings with a connected load of 100 kW or a contracted demand of 120 kVA and above.
ECO Niwas Samhita 2018:
There is an Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC-R) for residential buildings. It was issued by the Ministry of Power. It aims to benefit residents and the environment by promoting energy efficiency in the design and construction of houses, apartments and townships.
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency: It was established in the year 2002 under the provisions of Energy Conservation Act, 2001. Its objective is to implement policy and programs related to energy efficiency and conservation.
Source – PIB