Govt Notifies Constitution of National Road Safety Board (NRSB)
Recently, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has issued a notification for the formation of the National Road Safety Board (NRSB).
The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act (MVA), 2019, made a provision for the establishment of the NRSB.
Functions to be done by National Road Safety Board (NRSB):
- To monitor the issues related to road safety. Also, formulate an effective strategy for the implementation of the Road Safety Policy, 2010 (based on the report of the Sundar Committee).
- According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) report, in the year 2020, 12 lakh cases of negligence deaths due to road accidents were registered in India.
- Developing specific standards for road safety, traffic management and road construction for hilly areas. Promotion of good Samaritans, innovative vehicle technologies etc.
- To prepare guidelines for capacity building and skill development for traffic police, hospital and highway authorities etc.
- To conduct research to improve the accident investigation process.
Composition: The Board shall consist of a Chairman and a minimum of three and a maximum of seven members. They will be appointed by the central government.
Initiatives taken to promote road safety in India:
- The MVA has been enacted for better vehicle safety standards, and the penalties for violations have been increased.
- India has signed the Brasilia Declaration, and has also pledged to reduce the number of deaths in road accidents.
- The ‘4E strategy’ has been initiated by MoRTH, namely Education, Engineering (Roads/Vehicles), Enforcement and Emergency care.
- Recently, a scheme has been launched to give rewards to the Good Samaritans who help the victims of serious accidents.
Source – PIB