National Policy on Co-operative (NCP)
The Union Government has announced the formation of a National Committee to draft the ‘National Cooperative Policy’ (NCP) document.
The current National Policy on Cooperation was formulated in the year 2002. The NCP document is being prepared to fulfill the mandate of the Ministry of Cooperation.
- To strengthen the cooperative movement in the country,
- strengthening its reach at the grassroots level,
- Promoting cooperative based economic development model etc.
- At present, there are about 8.5 lakh cooperative societies in India. The number of members in these is about 29 crores.
- These cooperatives are active in various activities including agro processing, dairy, fisheries, housing etc.
Source- The Hindu