National Conclave on Wild and Forest Honey: TRIFED
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (TRIFED) has organized a National Conference on “Wild and Forest Honey”.
- The conference was organized in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare and the National Bee Board.
- The objective of this conference was to create awareness about forest and forest honey production and tribals engaged in honey collection.
- Wild and forest honey is one of the most popular and widely used sweeteners around the world. It is also very beneficial from health point of view.
- Honey is a source of nutrition. Also, it is known for its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties. It also serves as the basis for many traditional medicine systems like Ayurveda, Siddha etc.
- Apart from honey, many high value by-products are also obtained from beekeeping. These include- beeswax, honeybee, propolis, royal jelly, bee venom etc.
- India ranks 8th and 9th among honey producing and exporting countries respectively. There has been an increase of about 110 percent in the export of honey, between the 2013-14 to 2019-20 (Economic Survey).
Initiatives to promote honey production
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has launched the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission Scheme.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has launched the Honey Mission programme.
- The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has launched the Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI) for the upgradation and reconstruction of traditional industries.
Source – The Hindu