Question – Discuss the contribution of Mustafa Kamal Pasha in the creation of modern Turkey – 21 August 2021
Mustafa Kemal Pasha was a staunch opponent of imperialism and a strong supporter of nationalism and modernity. Mustafa Kamal Pasha transformed the sick-man of Europe into a modern nation.
Contribution of Mustafa Kemal Pasha in the creation of modern Turkey:
- Modern system of education was introduced and elementary education was made free and compulsory,the religious schools were dismantled at the same time.
- Almost overnight the whole system of Islamic law was discarded. From February to June 1926 the Swiss civil code, the Italian penal code, and the German commercial code were adopted. As a result, women’s emancipation was strengthened by the abolition of polygamy, marriage was made a civil contract, and divorce was recognized as a civil action
- Titles were abolished
- The ancient names of the cities were changed to develop nationalism.
- Provision of Female education, system of civil marriage was introduced.
- Caliphate was abolished and Turkey was declared a secular nation.
- The rapid industrialization was promoted by starting five-year plans.
Through the above reforms, Mustafa Kemal Pasha succeeded in transforming Turkey into the first modern country of the Islamic world by taking it out of Arab-Asian culture.