Multi Agency Centre – MAC
The states have been asked by the central government to share more intelligence through ‘Multi Agency Centre’ i.e., ‘MAC’.
- States are often reluctant to share information on this platform.
- It has several drawbacks in sharing important information at the right time.
- The plan to integrate this system up to the district level has been going on for more than a decade.
- MAC, a common counter-terrorism grid under the Intelligence Bureau, was started in the year 2001 after the Kargil War.
- 28 organizations including Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW), Armed Forces and State Police are part of the ‘Multi Agency Centre’ (MAC).
- Real-time intelligence inputs are shared on MAC by various security agencies.
- Now functioning 24/7 as the nodal body for intelligence sharing, MAC coordinates with multiple agencies, representatives from various ministries, both at the Center and in the State.
National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID)
The National Intelligence Grid or NATGRID is the integrated intelligence master database structure for counter-terrorism purpose connecting databases of various core security agencies under Government of India collecting comprehensive patterns procured from 21 different organizations that can be readily accessed by security agencies round the clock.
Source – The Hindu