Monuments of National Importance
Recently, sites associated with Babasaheb Ambedkar are being declared as monuments of national importance.
For this the National Monuments Authority has recommended the following two sites:
- The first site is the Sankalp Bhoomi Banyan Tree Complex in Vadodara. Here Dr. Ambedkar took a pledge to eradicate untouchability on September 23, 1917.
- The second site is Pratap Rao Bhosale High School in Satara, Maharashtra. Here Dr. Ambedkar received his primary education.
Definition of Ancient Monument
Ancient Monument means any structure, erection or monument, or any tumulus or place of interment, or any cave, rock-sculpture, inscription or monolith which is of historical, archaeological or artistic interest and which has been in existence for not less than 100 years and includes—
- Remains of an ancient monument,
- Site of an ancient monument,
- Such portion of land adjoining the site of an ancient monument as may be required for fencing or covering in or otherwise preserving such monument, a
- The means of access to, and convenient inspection of, an ancient monument;
Source – The Hindu