MK-III helicopter inducted into Indian Navy
Recently, the Indian Navy has inducted 3 indigenously built advanced light ‘MK-III’ helicopters into its fleet.
- The MK-III helicopter will be used for surveillance at sea and for coastal security. These are manufactured by ‘Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’ (HAL).
- These helicopters are equipped with state-of-the-art surveillance radars and electro-optical equipment to efficiently conduct long range search and rescue operations as well as surveillance activities in maritime range both during day and night.
- ‘MK-III’ helicopters are also equipped with heavy machine guns. The ‘MK-III’ helicopters have several systems that were earlier found only in heavy and multi-role helicopters of the Indian Navy.
- A Portable Medical Intensive Care Unit (ICU) has also been inducted in the ‘MK-III’ helicopters to airlift critically ill patients and avoid any health disaster.
- The helicopters incorporate several advanced avionics, making them truly all-weather use.
Source: The Hindu