Why in news ?
What is mitochondria?
- Mitochondria – They are membrane-bound cell organelles that are the powerhouses of the cells as they generate the energy needed to power the cell’s biochemical reactions.
- Chemical energy produced by the mitochondria is stored in a small molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP).
What is Mitochondrial Donation Treatment?
- Mitochondrial donation treatment is also known as mitochondrial replacement therapy (MRT).
- Advanced in-vitro fertilization technique is used for mitochondrial donation treatment.
- The baby’s biological father’s sperm was used to fertilise the eggs from the biological mother, who has a mitochondrial disease, and a third, female donor with clear mitochondria, separately.
- There are no cures for these diseases, but treatments may help with symptoms and slow down the disease.
- They may include physical therapy, vitamins and supplements, special diets, and medicines.
Source – The Hindu