Recently the Supreme Court has directed the Central Government to submit records on the current status of Mission Shakti.
- Mission Shakti is a scheme operating in mission mode. It aims to strengthen measures to be taken for women’s safety, security and empowerment.
- Mission Shakti’ has been launched by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development for the period of 15th Finance Commission from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
It has two sub-schemes – ‘Sambal’ and ‘Samarthya’.
Sambal: It is for the safety and security of women. The components of the Sambal sub-plan include the erstwhile schemes of One Stop Center (OSC), Women Helpline (WHL), Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) with a new component of Nari Adalats. Apart from this, this scheme will work for alternative dispute resolution and promotion of gender justice within the society and family.
- It is related to the empowerment of women. The components of the ‘Samarthya’ sub-scheme include the erstwhile schemes of Ujjwala, Swadhar Greh and Working Women’s Hostel with modifications.
- Apart from this, the existing schemes of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) under the National Crèche Scheme and Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) umbrella scheme for children of working mothers have now been subsumed in the affordability scheme.
- A new component of Gap Funding for Economic Empowerment has also been added to the Sakshat Yojana.
Source – The Hindu