May 2 : International Astronomy Day
Recently, International Astronomy Day was observed on 2 May. It is to be noted that astronomy day is celebrated twice a year on 26 September and 2 May.
Its main objective is to spread awareness about the world of astronomy. On this day astronomical institutes, planetariums, museums conduct various activities.
- International Astronomy Day was first observed in 1973. The day was started by the then president of the Astronomical Association of Northern California. Initially the festival began in the US, and later it spread to other parts of the world.
National Astronomy Week
- Astronomy Day is celebrated as a part of National Astronomy Week. Astronomy Week is held in the United Kingdom.
International Year of Astronomy
- International astronomy year was celebrated in the year 2009. It was organized to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Galileo’s discovery in 2009 and the discovery of Kepler in the 17th century. This year’s programs were conducted by the International Astronomical Union.
- Galileo first discovered the crater and mountain on the moon in the year 1609. This discovery greatly changed the perception of space science.
International Astronomical Union- IAU
- IAU was founded in 1919. It is headquartered in France. The main objective of this association was to protect science. IAU is a member of the International Science Council. India is also a member of this association.
Source – The Hindu