- Recently due to the impending arrival of Cyclone ‘Mandas’, heavy rainfall has been forecast in Tamil Nadu and its adjoining areas.
- Cyclone Mandas is reported to affect the coasts of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry from December 8, 2022.
- The cyclone has been named by the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Mandus is a slow-moving cyclone that often absorbs a lot of moisture, produces heavy rainfall, and derives its strength from wind speed.
There are two types of cyclones:
- Tropical Cyclones: Tropical cyclones are highly destructive storms. They originate on the warm ocean surface near the equator.
Tropical cyclones originate in the region between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer.
These are large weather systems that develop over tropical or subtropical waters, where they become organized into surface air circulation.
- Extra Tropical Cyclones: These are also called temperate cyclones or mid-latitude cyclones or Vatagri cyclones or wave cyclones.
Extra tropical cyclones originate in temperate regions and high latitude regions, although they are known to originate in the Polar Regions.
Source – The Hindu