Recently, the Kunming Declaration on Biodiversity Conservation has been adopted by all countries globally.
The declaration was adopted during the Conference of the Virtual Parties to the United Nations Convention on Biodiversity (COP-15).
It aims to make the Global Biodiversity Framework effective after the year 2020.
The theme of the declaration is “Ecological Civilization: Building a Shared Future for All Life on Earth”
Major Commitments under the Kunming Declaration
- Ensuring the development, adoption and implementation of an effective implementation plan after 2020 (replacing the 2010 Aichi target). This plan will be prepared to reduce the current loss of biodiversity and to put biodiversity on the path of recovery by the year 2030.
- Mainstreaming the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity in the decision-making process.
- Recognizing the importance of conservation in protecting human health.
- Building a more sustainable and eco-friendly supply chain.
- Increasing finance for protection in relatively poor countries, etc.
Kunming Biodiversity Fund
- The fund has been announced with a resolution of 1.5 billion yuan by China during COP15. The Kunming Biodiversity Fund will be used in the implementation of the new framework.
- It is to be known that this fund will provide assistance to biodiversity conservation in developing countries for the conservation of nature in this decade.
Source – The Hindu