Recently the Cabinet has approved the financing and implementation of Ken-Betwa River Linking Project (RLP).
The Ken-Betwa River Linking Project aims to transport water from Ken to Betwa river through the construction of Daudhan Dam and a canal connecting the two rivers.
This will be the first major RLP under the National Perspective Plan for inter-linking of rivers.
It will transport water from water surplus areas to drought prone and water scarce areas.
Socio-economic benefits of this RLP (River Linking Project)
- Irrigation in drought prone and water scarce areas of Bundelkhand region.
- 103 MW Hydro power and 27 MW solar power based power generation.
- Overall economic activities will get impetus to boost employment generation.
- Provide relief to women and girls from the intense labor of fetching water from long distances.
- It will help in improving health and education in the region by reducing the burden of diseases (due to unsafe drinking water).
- Helpful in preventing migration due to any pressure in the area.
- However, concerns have been raised that the project is partially in Madhya Pradesh. Will submerge Panna Tiger Reserve and will also affect the habitat of vultures and jackals.
Source – The Hindu