Iran preparing documents to join SCO
Recently it is discussed that Iran and Belarus are being included as new members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
A decision on this will be taken at the SCO summit to be held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan in September.
The decision to include Iran in the SCO was taken at the Dushanbe summit last year. Belarus has filed its application for membership.
In this meeting, India also shared draft rules for promoting industrial cooperation among the business world of SCO member countries and for organizing and organizing exhibition events.
This is the second expansion of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization after India and Pakistan joined the grouping in 2017.
Importance of expansion in Shanghai Cooperation Organization-
- The increase in the number of members will give more legitimacy to the SCO. At the same time, it will provide security and economic benefits for its members.
- Connectivity and integration with a larger area will improve.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization
- The eight-member Shanghai Cooperation Organization is headquartered in Beijing. It is an economic and security organization.
- Eight members- China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
- The main goals of the SCO are: to strengthen mutual trust; To effectively cooperate in politics, business, economy and research etc.
- India will host the SCO summit next year (2023). Varanasi has been selected as the first “Tourism and Cultural Capital” of the SCO region.
Source – The Hindu